Search engine optimization (SEO) is rightly on the minds of web developers, but a lot of them have no idea where to start. Online marketers have numerous ways to get more organic search juice, including social media, mobile strategies, keywords, back links and more. Anyone can learn how to leverage SEO tools to get better page rankings on Google, Bing, Ask, Yahoo! and the other search engines.
The websites and blogs of veteran marketers and web developers can provide powerful resources for learning about SEO. Hundreds of experienced online marketers are pushing SEO ideas and tactics across the Internet, but the result is not always practical or useful. A few sites, however, do offer reliable and consistent SEO guidance. A small handful are worthy of attention.
Here are five of the best SEO resources on the web to fuel up a tired and sagging search campaign.
- SEOmoz and its Daily SEO Blog are some of the best-known and well-respected resources for SEO. Founder Rand Fishkin turned a startup software company into a major provider of SEO tools, and its resources come at free and premium levels. The platform is a rich and robust resource for learning SEO basics and keeping current with the latest optimization techniques.SEOmoz’s daily blog is chock-full of useful search optimization information at every turn. Posts by Fishkin and his team can give instruction on link building, SEO keyword research, or proper strategies for the mobile market. SEOmoz also offers a must-read Beginners Guide for optimization as well as a Beginner’s SEO Checklist. The single-minded focus that SEOmoz takes on search optimization makes it one of the best SEO resources on the web.
- Mashable is known as the largest independent news resource dedicated to social media and digital technologies. More than 20 million unique visitors drop by its pages each month to glean SEO advice with a social twist. Mashable offers award-winning journalism aimed at networking the web community for better search engine optimization.
- MarketingSherpa is on a mission to guide online business to the pinnacle of SEO success. It is a private research firm in the field of online marketing, and it makes the data available to the entire MarketingSherpa community. Surveys, consumer research, polls, opinions, statistics — MarketingSherpa is an invaluable resource for search optimization information.
- Entrepreneur is a website named for the very audience it aims to help. Online entrepreneurs can find a wealth of SEO information on its blog, known as The Daily Dose. Staff writers and guest bloggers cover the topic of search engine marketing with aplomb and great accuracy, making Entrepreneur a useful SEO resource for profit-hungry web developers.
- Practical eCommerce is an online magazine dedicated to helping small- to medium-size businesses find success on the web. Established in 2005 as a printed publication, the site is now a digital resource for online entrepreneurs. Practical eCommerce proffers daily advice for online business owners, and it currently offers more than 800 SEO-related articles.Contributors to Practical eCommerce magazine comprise some of the brightest names in search optimization, including online marketing experts and successful ecommerce entrepreneurs. It offers helpful podcasts, webinars, online courses and weekly updates for online businesses. Practical eCommerce also hosts a sister site called Ecommerce Developer where web developers exchange technology tips related to organic SEO.
Everyone has an opinion about search engine optimization, but high-quality SEO advice is like gold. Novice web owners as well as seasoned developers can benefit from forward thinking ideas and cutting edge strategies. The best SEO resources on the web should provide superior advice for better search engine ranking, and do it without a lot of fluff.